New patio - turned dark brown within 2 weeks? - Patio aftercare

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
MattPatio

Hi all,

We’ve recently laid Kendla Grey Indian sandstone in our back garden with a path running around the side and in front of the house. On the whole the patio to the rear of the property is perfect, the stone has kept its original colour and dirt is easily removed. The slabs around the front however have turned a dark brown, they look as if they’ve been down for the past 15 years not brand new.

We did not seal the slabs. I contacted the retailer who advised me to wait a minimum of 4 weeks before sealing. We are currently on week number 2 and they have already discoloured.

The only difference I can think is that the bulk of the patio towards the rear of the property that looks good is exposed to sunlight all day whereas towards the front of the property where it is worse the stones are not.

I understand it may be the minerals coming out of the stone however I am surprised it has turned the stone dark brown almost going on black.

It’s really disappointing as we’ve had a huge amount of time and money spent landscaping and the old patio we took up That has been down for the last 15 years looks bette than the brand new patio!

Any advice/guidance for a patio novice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Matt

Tony McC
Site Admin

Have you or the installer used any acid-based product to clean the paving?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert