Door knocking landscaper - Driveway photos

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
David 1234

Hello all. A landscaper was building a neighbour’s driveway and knocked on my door. Alarm bells rang but being fair to the guy I’ve looked at what he does. MOT compacted with a roller and yes it is a typical traveller approach to things - flood the site with men and do it in a few days. But he’s been doing driveways around here for years and none have sunk. Watford based outfit - got a big online presence.

I’ve taken photos of three driveways, all within a couple of roads. I think the Tegula one looks good, the others have issues with the edging. What’s wrong here please? The curves don’t look right having looked at the page on this site. The photos make it look worse than it is but you’ll get the idea.

Sorry guys, Tony adding photos shortly. I’m not too computer literate.
David

dig dug dan

Error, whereabouts in Hertfordshire's are you? Alarm bells are ringing. If it's the crowd I think it is, they are travellers. Please avoid. No genuine landscaper does door knocking

Edited By dig dug dan on 1589958390
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Tony McC
Site Admin

Your photies....

....ropey cutting-in; threepenny-bit curves and arcs; phantom threshold drains; blocks out of alignment....and probably more.

I can understand why it might look like good work to a civilian, but to anyone familiar with block paving, there's too many corners been cut.

Still: if you are happy with that standard of work (it's no awful: it's just not as good as it should be) and the price seems right for you, then off you go....caveat emptor!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

dig dug dan

The curves dont look right as they have used a rigid standard concrete path edge, creating to many straight lines.
That edging and cutting in round that pillar is shockingly bad
And slips and darts everywhere
But to the untrained householder, they think its marvellous!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

David 1234

Thank you very much gents for taking the time to look at these and reply. I knew the curves didn't look right but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. I didn't know about an alternative to standard straight concrete path edges but yes there are too many straight lines and weird angles going on.

Try as a civilian getting a decent man to do your driveway. The crew who did the jobs in the photos have dozens of reviews and I know some are genuine because they're my neighbours. Suffice to say I won't be using them but I guess if they install driveways that don't sink then the average punter will still use them. It's not even as thought they're particularly well priced.
David

Tony McC
Site Admin

The "alternative" to using straight 915mm long pcc edging kerbs as a retaining edge for block paving is NOT to use a straight 915mm long pcc edging kerb!

Form a beautiful sweet curve by using the blocks themselves as an edge course, laid on and haunched with concrete. Looks *so* much better!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert