Set gap space sawn sandstone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Smarterzippo

Hopefully someone can answer my question. I have sawn on 6 sides paving exact sizes of 600x600, 600x300 and 300x300. I am planning on creating a Tudor layout. I understand the discrepancy issue with equal gaps. Is it possible to pre determine all the gap sizes required as this is a repetitive pattern. I could then make up some spacers to speed up installation without constantly going back to adjust the positions to make the gaps more even. I ideally would like quite a tight gap around 6-8mm

Thanks in advance

Tony McC
Site Admin

Firstly, you need to define what you mean by a "Tudor" pattern, as there is no official or nationally-understood agreement as to what, exactly, constitutes such a name. It's a marketing term dreamed up by some retailer years ago for a particular mix and arangement of sizes, but I know of at least 3 variations that all claim to be "Tudor" pattern. At least two of them must be wrong! And then there's the gfact that the Tudors weren't all that big on modular flagstone paving! Much happier fornicating and beheading.

Next: when it comes to predicting precise joint spaces, you *will* fail. No matter how accurate you measure the flags, regardless of how precise you are in preparing spacers, there *will* be variation. Some flags will not be as "tight" to a spacer as others; some will 'creep' ever so slightly once laid; some will get accidentally nudged by trafficking or movement before the joints are fixed.

You can create spacers, but you have to accept that there will still need to be some joint balancing once an area is covered, as there *will* be some minor variation.

I'm not saying that spacers are a waste of time - far from it - but you have to accept that they can never be completely accurate. They will help, but they won't be perfect.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Smarterzippo

Thanks for the advice Tony, I think ill will just wing it as i go along,

:cool: