Preparing patio base - Protecting sw pipes and step for door

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
mgp075

Hi - I am new here so please be gentle. In these crazy times I thought doing a patio project would help keep me busy

Proposed new patio will be 10m x 3m along the back of the house. I am taking the finish level of the patio from a surface drain that catches rain water from a down pipe.

The top of this drain sits 120mm below the damp course and I intend to set the finish level of the patio 10mm above the drain, so 110mm below damp course.
I understand 150mm is the recommended finish level below damp course but I am working with what I've got.

The drain and pipe joint is set in concrete with the top of the concrete being 190mm below damp course. This gives me 80mm for bedding and slab around the drain, which I believe is sufficient.

The SW pipe (110mm diameter orange hard plastic) sits in pea shingle along the full run from the drain along the side of the house gradually falling to 300mm below damp course at the patio doors where it joins another pipe (90 degree joint) which leads out away from the house under what will be the new patio to a soak away in the garden.

I hope that all makes sense!

When digging down to allow for the 100mm base I have exposed the tops of the pipes in places. In other places (further away from the house) the tops of the pipes are not exposed but are not that far below the surface (about 10-50mm below surface). All pipes are sitting in pea shingle.

Do I need to worry about damaging the pipes when I put down and compact the base?
Is there anything I need to do to ensure the pipes are protected? If so, what is the recommendation? Cover with concrete or maybe put down a dry mix of sharp sand, pea shngle and cement, gentle tamp down and sprinkle with water to harden?
How thick should this be?
After suitably covering the pipes, to bring the base up to bedding level, will it be OK to then put down compacted based on top?
For the pipes that run along the side of the house, there is insufficient depth to put down a 100mm base. Should I cover the pipes with concrete to bring up to the bedding level or would a dry mix of sharp sand, pea shingle and cement also work?

Another question...

I would like to build a step below the patio doors to prevent the long drop down to the patio.
I plan to use house bricks to raise the step with patio slabs used for the tread. The finish height will be half a brick above damp course so as to make it a comfortable step out of the doorway.
The step will be about 2000mm wide with a tread of about 600mm.

Obviously the step needs a solid foundation but I am unsure how best to lay the foundation given the pipes that join below the doorway.
Is it best to lay the foundation on the sub base directly on top of the pipes?
Or on a compacted base layer above the pipes?
Or maybe use the patio itself as a foundation and lay bricks directly on top of the patio?

What thickness should the foundation be if laid on the sub base versus laid on the compact base?
Is it best to use concrete for the foundation or a mortar mix?

Sorry, one more question...
Is crushed concrete 50mm - dust suitable as base? How does it compare to other types of MOT 1?

Appreciate your advice - great site by the way :D
Martin

mgp075

A couple of pics if they help...

Surface drain 120mm below damp course
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RGh5vTATgJMzNyTC6

Pipes joining below back door, 300mm below damp course
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K4eKssM5hWwYnqHT6
Martin

Tony McC
Site Admin

1 - protect exposed pipes with sand. Cover with 50mm or so before you put down any sub-base material

2 - step: having the tread *above* DPC is a really bad idea. It's just asking for trouble. Reduce it's level to 10mm below DPC and/or use a threshold slot drain - https://www.pavingexpert.com/threshold01#doorway-drainage - to protect the integrity of the DPC as much as possible.

3 - foundation: either build atop the patio (depending opn what is being laid) or, for best practice, construct a strip footing for the risers using concrete (ST1), even if it's only 60-80mm thick over the tops of the shallow pipes.

4 - 50mm down crushed concrete: not as good as Type 1 (otherwise, it would be widely used for road construction sub-bases) but fine for a patio.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mgp075

Many thanks Tony for coming back to me.

1 - I'm guessing sharp sand should be used? To prevent the sand disappearing into the pea shingle over time and/or during sub base compaction is it best to lay a geotextile down over the pipes first to prevent this?

2 - point taken re DPC ... I'll also look into a threshold slot drain

3 - I'm planning on laying 25-30mm slabs (random pattern) but will likely go with the best practice and build up from strip footings. Should these footing be built on the sub grade or on top of the sub base?

4 - Thanks for the info re crushed concrete. I can get it for £20/tonne versus £40/bulk bag for MOT 1 so a big saving. It's only a patio in the garden so no cars to worry about
Martin

Tony McC
Site Admin

1 - doesn't really matter, but given the choiuce, I'd opt for grit sand

3 - If the sub-grade is sound (clay, ideally) build your footing on that, otherwise on the sub-base
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mgp075

Nice one - thank you Tony. No doubt I'll be in touch again as the project progresses
Martin