Plate compactor - Small one

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Forestboy1978

Just need something I can handle alone. Small for small ground works and patios for a reasonable price.

How bad is the evolution one?

Belle perhaps?

doobin

The Evoloution one is pretty light mate. It's just not heavy enough for knocking down Type 1, but one man can handle it and it's reliable.

Unfortunatly if you have to compact sub base, it's just not up to the job.

Can't see you'd go wrong with Belle. If you're not going to use it a lot, the LTS 80KG jobby is prety good for £280 inc VAT!! They do a 60KG version too. Search LTS whacker on ebay or Google.

The Chinese copy of a Honda engine is a beauty- they've got it down pat. Starts first pull and idles smooth as silk. The plate is missing the turn-up on the side edges, whci can lead to cutting in when turning. The main thing to be aware of is that the anti vibe isn't great, so it's onyl good for very short term use, especially if you are getting employees to use it.

I've had mine six months and used it on six jobs. Very happy with it, but if I used it weekly I'd have gone Belle.

Tony McC
Site Admin

If you can pick up a plate compactor on your own, it's too light!

The BS requires a minimum mass of 75kg for compacting sub-base material, and yes! there's are heroes that could easily lift that and throw it in the back of the tranny van, but I'll probably see them in the spinal clinic any day now!

You could get away with a 60kg plate for patios, I suppose, but I'd rather spend me money on the right bit of kit and know the job is done correctly, than risk it with a lightweight plate.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

doobin

The other thing to consider is the plate size- obviously a bigger plate will spread the weight. So if you want a 60kg one, get one as small as possible. Yeah it'll take more time- but it's time well spent.

I've also got an old diesel pedestrian vibrating roller that is magic for larger areas, but you have to be prepared to take your time. Best £250 I spent.

doobin

As regards handling one alone- there are swing lift cranes on eBay for around £250, rated for 250-500kgs. Come in handy for all sorts- you only get one body after all. Stick it on the tipper and you're away- you could even lift things like a MuckTruck in and out.

emilywilliams

If you are still undecided you can also consider hiring a wacker plate for your next few jobs? So you can try the Evolution and Belle in practice? I find this website quite useful for finding wacker plate hire near me: https://www.ohire.co.uk/plant-tools/concreting-compaction/wacker-plate

Dave_L
Site Admin

Bomag 18/45 is what you need. Not cheap but it'll tick all the boxes
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

wario

Old thread so I apologise.

I’m after a plate compactor for a one off job- budget of £300. Any particular brands/models to look out for in the second hand market or even a cheap new one. Also considering something that I can sell on easily after use. Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond with their advise.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Wacker is the obvious brand, and Amman, but anything with a Honda or Briggs & Stratton engine is usually a sound bet.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

wario

Great, thank you!

I’ll keep an eye out on eBay.

wario

Well, I ended up buying the Scheppach for a whisker under £300 delivered to my door via the good people at Aldi and then sold it a month later for £300 cash. Could’ve sold it five time’s over.

The funny thing is that the guy that bought it asked for a receipt purely for his insurance company, I sent the same receipt to him that I got from Aldi. He asked me how much I paid for it, you could physically see his heart sink when I said £298

Was a little embarrassing. That’s business though, I didn’t expect to get my full asking price but had to start somewhere.