Crazy paving

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
yellowduck

I have been a ‘lurker’ on this site for many years, and have gleaned much useful information helping me to lay patios and slabs over the years. I always recommend this site to others, and last Christmas my son was so fed up of me going on about it, bought me a copy of Tony’s book, which he got personalised for me, taking the p*ss out of my normal saying that ‘Silicone will do it’.

When we wanted our current drive done, I checked out the section on Crazy, which we wanted, as we felt it would suit the age of the bungalow. However, Tony’s warning that the only thing crazy about crazy, was that it was easy to do, made me look for someone to do it.

It transpires in our area it is quite hard to find someone who can A) get hold of the slabs, and B) has a clue as to how to lay it. We think we struck gold with the guy who did ours. He was 73 years old and has been landscaping for over 50 years. It took him and his two sons just over four weeks to lay the 80 or so sqm.

I know this isn’t a query, or a complaint, but I just wanted to show how lovely (in my opinion) crazy can look if it is done right.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/nLJ5DFG....mg]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/Y0rDtFh....mg]

Tony McC
Site Admin

Martin,

as you say, I can be quite disparaging about Crazy Paving, mainly because so many who think they can lay it actually can't, but that, my friend, is a top notch job!

But four weeks for 3 men?!?!? That's why you have to be crazy to consider it! :D

Lovely, lovely work!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

yellowduck

Thank you Tony, that means a lot!

Bob_A

Lovely job! it's the colours that make it.
What did you use for the jointing?

yellowduck

Sorry Bob, I don’t come on here often.

The guys that did it were meticulous in mixing the pointing. They used exact quantities of white cement? and sand, measured out in a bucket to ensure the colour was the same throughout. They added fibres to the mix and also used metal ties between a lot of the slabs. Other than that, it was just very slow pointing by hand. Two guys were laying the pointing roughly, and one guy was following behind striking it up.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Yellow duck that is a fine example of Crazy paving
I would be well happy with that
well done
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE