Garden slopes towards house - Boundary drain or fall away

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
jaysettpav

I have read your website extensively in preparation for a patio in the rear garden next to the house. The garden slopes towards the house. The advice everywhere is to create a fall of 1:60 away from a building. This will require more digging and a possible drainage issue away from the house. So to reduce the digging, I thought have a fall away from the house until halfway and then rise the other half. I would like to go for flexible flags so I thought if there are drainage issues in the middle of the patio, I thought I could install a channel under the flags where the opening can snugly fit in a generous width jointing.

But then I thought, why not have a linear drain channel next to the house 150mm below dpc to connect to the sewage.

I am not sure which is better? Former is more environmentally friendly but if there is a problem, I would have to connect to the sewer anyway.
Thank You

Tony McC
Site Admin

Always better to drain away from a property, but there are instances where that's just not possible, so it has to fall *towards* the house and then be collected by an interceptor linear channel or similar.

I prefer your original plan but why bury a drainage channel at the "halfway point"? Just have a linear channel or slot drain installed to surface level.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert