Re-sanding block paving in wet conditions - How to

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Karanbajwa

Hi all,
I had a question about re sanding a block paved driveway (concrete). I have carefully jet washed according to the guide on this website a few days ago.
However it has been non stop rain and damp conditions since and as I was under the impression it must be dry for re sanding I have not yet done this.

We have also stopped parking on the driveway too just in case.

Is there any way around this and any technique to re sand blocks in these damp conditions as I don't see the ground or blocks drying out any time soon?

Thank you all

Tony McC
Site Admin

Yes - you can wet grout the jointing sand.

It's a technique that's more popular in Europe than in Britain and Ireland and you really do need the pavement to be well drained, both in surface levels and in terms of the sub-layers (so: the corect type of laying course and sub-base).

In essence, you scatter the jointing sand, brush in what you can, then use a hose with a fine spray to wash-in anything left on the surface. Literally, chase the sand into the joints using a hose and brush.

Obviously, this is a great boon when surfaces are damp, as they oftren are at this time of year, but more than that, washing in the jointing tends to thoroughly fill the joints so that you get much less settlement over those criticl first few weeks, and less topping-up to do in a couple of months' time.

For years I've been trying to organise a photo-shoot to show this technique in action, and every time I think we have it lined up and ready to go, summat goes wrong. The job gets postponed, the contractor gets an attack of the nerves, the client isn't happy with me photographing/videoing.....I seem to be cursed to never get these invaluable images, but it is up there, on my Whiteboard of Good Intentions, so,maybe one day......
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Karanbajwa

Thank you Tony that's very helpful I will follow your advice