Easyjoint and permeable bedding

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
BazzaHaynes

Hi,

EasyJoint states that the bedding and sub-base must be permeable. As I understand it, most lansdcapers put SBR in the bedding mix, and or use a mix ratio that results pretty much in non-permeable bedding. I've also found that an awful lot of landscapers still use EasyJoint.

It seems to be a requirement of similar products too.

Is this just one of the clauses that companies use to ensure they've don't get warranty claims, and most of the time landscapers and customers get away with it?

Cheers.

sean mc

BazzaHaynes wrote:Hi,

EasyJoint states that the bedding and sub-base must be permeable. As I understand it, most lansdcapers put SBR in the bedding mix, and or use a mix ratio that results pretty much in non-permeable bedding. I've also found that an awful lot of landscapers still use EasyJoint.

It seems to be a requirement of similar products too.

Is this just one of the clauses that companies use to ensure they've don't get warranty claims, and most of the time landscapers and customers get away with it?

Cheers.
just had a similar argument with the rep from Nexus about there pro joint.
ive had two comebacks on indian stone that i have obviously laid on a full mortar bed consisting of 8-1 grit/cement this obviously isnt what i would class as a permeable bed. maybe slightly but thats a far as it goes.
anyway the pro joint crap of there was just sitting in the joints saturated in water never to cure ever then went green and the natives moved in.
to be fair on Nexus they came out....surveyed the job and are coming back to fix it with there 2 part V75 all singing all dancing super joint compound.
my argument thus.....my stone supplier wont guarantee the stone unless its on a full bed and the backs are SBR'd but the builders merchant who supplied the pro joint said it was fine to use on a full bed???

Tony McC
Site Admin

This is becoming a bigger and bigger problem. Nearly all of the resin mortar suppliers, whether it's 1-part or 2-part, are stating the need for permeable bedding, but the most common laying method in Britain and Ireland is on a practically impermeable mortar bed. How can this be reconciled?

In short, it can't, but the insistence on permeable bedding hails from Germany, where the better mortars originate and where there is far more genuine research into pavement structure than ever takes place in Britain (or Ireland), and where the use of permeable bedding (trass bedding) is practically standard practice. These resin mortars are designed to provide optimum performance with permeable bedding.

However, they can, and should, provide a reasonable level of performance when used with impermeable bedding, as explained on this page.

Admittedly, it's less than ideal, but a genuinely good 2-part mortar will give a more-than-acceptable level of service when installed correctly. Yes: they are engineered for German and other North European pavements rather than the fickle, finicky and haphazard British/Irish market, but the better products simply do not fail in permanently wet conditions.

Worryingly, some of the less impressive resin mortar suppliers are now latching-on to this lack of permeability in the bedding as an escape clause for the poorer performance of their products. It's far too tempting for bewildered reps to throw their hands in the air and claim, "It's that crap bedding" when there's a failure of the jointing they gladly sold without ever really mentioning this potential problem.

The sooner we take up trass bedding as the default bedding for ALL of our paving, the better, as far as I can see!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert