Circle kits

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Bob_A

We have a summer house at the end of our garden but unfortunately next door has a number of very large Leylandii trees that drop bits over our side and the earth is very dry resulting in the grass doesn’t grow in that area. The owner doesn’t give a **** So unless anyone knows how to kill Leylandii without the owner knowing I’m going to pave the area which is about 16sq metres. The only stipulation is the wife insists that it must include a circle and squaring off kit.
So my question is what types of stone and colours are less porous, easier to keep clean and is readily available in circle kits.
Thanks
:)

Tony McC
Site Admin

Granite is probably your best option, closely followed by a good quality Kota limestone. The sandstones tend to be too porous (admittedly some are not too bad), and types such as Mint, Teak and Rainbow should be avoided like the plague.

10 years ago, you could pick-up a granite flagstone circle at almost any supplier of hard landscaping materials, but fashions have changed and now you'll have to ring around and see who has got what. Such are the changes that even sandstone circles are tricky to find nowadays!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Bob_A

Thanks Tony out of interest what sandstones are not too bad. Cheers

Also another question if I may.
I read somewhere that a circle kit within a patio looks fine but a circle kit coupled with a squaring off kit within a patio doesn't look right. Surely if you plan it right so the joints don't look obviously wrong then it should be ok?
Reason for wanting a squaring off kit is I want to do the patio myself and although I consider myself capable of laying to a good standard I'm not so sure about cutting around a circle, was going to use a circle and squaring off kit then add additional paving around that.
Thanks

Tony McC
Site Admin

Raj Green (the genuine stuff), Kandla Grey, Modak, Autumn/Forest Brown.....all pretty reasonable.

There's no way anyone can decalre circles with square-off kits are always wrong. It's all down to personal taste, and if you like the idea, then that's all that matters!

I don't mind a squared-off circle feature, but I prefer the random(ish) tieing-in effect that you get with some square-off kits to the plain "circle-inna-bloody-obvious-square" option.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Bob_A

Thanks Tony much appreciated :)

Bob_A

'Er and me went to see some paving this weekend, she took one look at granite planking and now the circle idea has gone completely out of the window. It's now got to be planking :laugh: which is fine by me 'cos I prefer it as well.

We went to two show areas with usually great reputations but didn't come away with much confidence.
In the first place I asked about paving that would be suitable for installation as described in my original post and was told buy any type of paving and just keep it clean using a product called 'Wet and Forget' any attempt to steer the conversation towards types of paving materials was met with 'Wet and Forgot' I was told that people queue out of the door to buy it in the spring hmmmm.
The other place told me porcelain was best and not to buy any product that had been sawn as the sawing process make the stone porous, if porcelain wasn't chosen then choose products that had been split rather than sawn.
That would mean sawn granite was not good but mint sandstone would be good hmmmm
That don't sound right does it?
Surely granite planking would be ideal for my situation?