MARSHALLS STANDARD FLAGS

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
CATHHOWARTH

BOUGHT FLAGS COSTING £300 A FEW MONTHS AGO. THE FLAGS ARE KNOWN AS "STANDARD C5O NATURAL PAVING FLAGS". THEY ARE POOR STANDARD AND BADLY MARKED AND CRUMBLING AT THE EDGES. IN FACT, THEY ARE AN EYESORE. MARSHALLS SAY THAT THEY ARE FINE AND NOT MEANT FOR DOMESTIC USE - THEY ARE MEANT FOR LOCAL AUTHORITY WALKWAYS! WOULD BE GRATEFUL OF ANY HELP AND ADVICE AS WE WISH TO TAKE THIS FURTHER.

84-1093879891

As I said in my email to you (thanks for doubling my workload, by the way! ), Marshalls generally have a good reputation and, if products are sub-standard, they are replaced without argument. Have you seen a rep from Marshalls or from the BM that supplied the flags to you?

C50 flags are 750x600x50mm and they are primarily 'targetted' at LA Highways work, but that doesn't exclude their use on domestic projects, nor does it permit a sub-standard product. In fact, large quantities of these standard flags are still used on newly built properties as the access paths around the building, so the suggestion that you have selected an 'incorrect' product for your project is spurious, to say the least.

Take photos of the flags; get the comments made so far to be repeated, in writing by whoever made them, and put your concerns in writing to Marshalls HQ in Halifax (see Links Pages for address). I've dealt with Marshalls for the best part of 30 years and I've never known them to reject a fair claim for sub-standard products: in fact, I've known them to replace products that were perfect, but it was easier for them to replace a few square metres of paving than to endure a long, drawn-out argument with a client that wouldn't know which way up to lay a flag in the first place.

So, to summarise; establish exactly who made the comments you report, and get them to put them in writing. Take photos of the problems, and put in a claim to Halifax in writing, detailing just what you consiedr to be the problem and include copies of your photos. I'd be stunned if that didn't elicit a response.

CATHHOWARTH

Tony,

thanks for the reply. in answer to the questions:
The flags were bought from a builders merchants in Bury, Lancs. we have contacted them and a rep was sent out from Marshalls. they declared that the flags were fine, even though badly discoloured and look absolutely terrible.

we received a letter from marshalls to say the rep thought they were fine. we are currently in the process of writing another letter to Halifax office, as we are far from happy. the driveway cost over £400 to do, and they really need ripping up. the old flags were far better than the new ones.

we want the money back for the flags, or replacement, or some contribution towards the cost of putting the driveway right.

it should be noted that there was nothing written on the packaging explaining that the flags were not suitable, and no advice was given at the builders merchant.

this will be sorted we hope, and we are seriously considering contacting watchdog or similar for advice.

even if the flags were not meant for our use, then i wonder what they should be used for? they are an embarrassment and look horrendous. surely this is not good for marshalls???

we will let you know what happens. this is not the end.

thanks
cath

84-1093879891

Do you have any photos? I can give you an impartial opinion, if you have piccies - my contact details are given on the About Us page.

100-1093880169

Cath,

I've emailed contact details to you directly. Please give me a call or email me with the precise quantity of units and I'll arrange free delivery of replacements.

David Sarti
Operations Director - Marshalls

(ps - we do not monitor this site, or any other for that matter, I just came across you're posts whilst looking for some advice for myself!)

CATHHOWARTH

just letting you know that i have been in contact with david sarti, and he has given us a cheque for the cost of the flags. we now intend to have the driveway re-flagged this spring. although initially marshalls were unhelpful and did not appear interested, we are extremely happy with the result. many thanks to david sarti.

84-1093879891

I'm glad you were able to get this issue resolved to your satisfaction, Cath.

Are you going for the same flags again, come spring, or will you be going for something different?