Screeding with 6mm clean

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
loudog

Hi Chaps, Ive been doing block paving for at least ten years now and have always screeded with 6mm clean stone from my local quarry. Ive never had a problem with it regarding sinking. Its half the price of grit sand, if it gets wet you can still carry on working with it. I wanted to know you views on using it, as the benefits of using 6mm clean out way grit sand for me. Cheers

Tony McC
Site Admin

There's nothing at all wrong with using a good quality 6mm clean, if you can get it. A lot of the block paving laid in Germany and Scandiwegia is laid that way.

In some parts of the country, it's phenomenally expensive, and not always readily available, which is why the current British Standard emphasises the use of a 'sand', but that will be changing in the new version (if they ever get it finalised) and there will be greater recognition of the use of grits rather than sands for bedding layers.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

loudog

Thanks Tony, it's reassuring to know as most people make comments to me regarding the 6mm clean and it just put doubts in your head.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Someone else was asking the very same question out on a site yesterday. It's not as rare as you might thaink, it seems!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert