Paving away from house - Advice on direction of fall for paving

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Brookelum

Hi
I'm looking for some advice on the direction of fall for a section of paving we are wanting to install, but it will be next to two neighbours fences with an area of grass between it and the house. We have recently ripped out some old decking and want to replace it with a paved area. It will sit between the fences bordering two neighbours. It is not against the house, and there is an area of lawn between it and the house. Most information says to drain away from the house, but I'm wondering if it's better in this instance to pitch it to drain onto the lawn, even though technically this will be towards the house?

Brookelum

Image should be available via this link https://photos.app.goo.gl/EC8tTHMUNmUEdAJu7

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'm not sure what part of the image is to be paved, but you have several options.

The simplest would be to leave a border of at least 600mm width at the fences and drain towards those, You could also send some of the potential surface water onto the lawn, if necessary.

It's not wrong, per se, to drain towards a house or other building: it's less than ideal and best avoided, if possible, but as long as any paving against the house is 150mm below DPC, or you have some form of interception, such as a linear drain or a dished channel, then it's not an actual breach of Building Regs.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert