Rustic edging in gravel

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
PeckhamPunk

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This site really has been invaluable for me as a diyer trying to learn best practices. Thanks to all that have contributed to the site thus far.

So I am creating an L-Shaped path in my garden and plan to use reclaimed bricks. We have some reclaimed sleeper beds (yes I'm aware of the evils of cresoste) and would like to maintain the rustic look, hence the use of reclaimed bricks - also plenty of people giving them away for free around here.

I have dug down and 100mm of type 1 mot sub base will be laid in the next few days. The original plan was to create a typical block paving path, but using steel paving edges rather than an edging course to minimise the use of concrete in the garden.
Everedge

Mrs PeckhamPunk now likes the idea of a rustic edge surrounded by gravel i.e. not straight, please the attached links (unsure how to upload images).

Pic1

Pic2

From what I can tell, they laid sand on top of the sub base, laid the bricks in the chosen pattern and filled the voids round the edges with gravel. My concern would be that the bricks experience lots of lateral movement and one would be constantly adjusting the lay of the bricks.

I think a standard straight edged block paving path will be more sensible, but would love to hear how you would try to recreate this look? I think attempting to individually bed the edges in a mortar mix might be necessary.

PS. path will experience light foot traffic only. No bins or anything heavy would be rolled along this path.

Tony McC
Site Admin

The outermost pavers need to be secured - if they move, the whole pavement starts to fall apart.

It may be that those outermost pavers, or even all of them, have been laid on a mortar bed, or there could be some other restaining mechanism hidden beneath the gravel surface dressing, but mortar bed would be the simplest.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert