Fencing

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
m.wakeford23

I have a project I wish to undertake which is installation of 2 x 30m feather edge fencing (both boundarys) along side 1st boundary is a crumbling 1970 DIY wall, I would like to take this down and remove footings. I have my own ideas as follows. Use a 3 tonne mini digger with a breaker attachment (if one exists) to break up footings, then remove waste via bucket by placing into 0.5 tonne dumper, then using auger attachment to make holes for fencing posts.
Can some please advise me if I am barking mad and this wont work

Thanks

Mike

Tony McC
Site Admin

The weak link in your proposal is the auger. they only work well in undisturbed clayey ground. In sandy ground, the augered hole collapses on itself; in made-up ground, the same tends to happen; in stony ground the auger tends to jam.

Other than that, no problem, but I would suggest using a larger dunper if at all possible as you get feckall in a half-tonner.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

rms

Leave the footings in place and either use a decent breaker for holes at 3m centres or change the line slightly! If it's a DIY wall the footings probably won't be up to much.