New concrete slab for porcelain

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
ck1

Hello all, I'm a long term lurker and first time poster.

I've read that the preferred method to lay porcelain is to lay a concrete slab which I'm preparing currently - which is 40 sqm - sqm on the front of a building and 20 sqm on the left so there is a right angle corner.

I've created a fall on the shuttering by using a long spirit level and made sure the bubble sits proud on the little line in the bubble window – sorry but I am a lay man – I hope this is enough fall!

My question is am I doing this right because what I’m worried about is when I pour the concrete it will sink to the lowest point.

Also due to access issues am I going to mix the concrete with an oversized mixer and wheel barrow it into place. In my simple mind I will do it in sections too, am I mad to do it this like this?

Finally, if my approach is acceptable please can you recommend the mix as I’ve read the concrete page but get confused with C20, slump etc

Is it possible to attach images as I've not uploaded them anywhere to link too?

Tony McC
Site Admin

The fall should be adequate for porcelain - don't worry about it too much, as you can make minor corections when laying the actual tiles.

Mixing, placing, levelling and compacting is a lot of work for one person. Much better to get a mate to help you.

The mix ration given on the concrete page coudn't really be any simpler: use the proportions shown for C20 or rely on the handy claculator to work out quantities.

For a slab base, you need a slump wet enough to pour and float level. Don't worry about the technical terminology of S2 or 50mm slump - it needs to be wet like a good porridge.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

ck1

Thanks Tony, I've actually opted to go for the fixed pedestal solution from Porcelquick as it negates the need for the slab and should be quicker and use less materials as well as being cheaper than an adjustable ped solution.