Need edge course where existing walls? - Edge course - existing wall restraint

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Griff71

Hi I am laying some block paving in at the back of my house and the area to be laid is already edged by the wall of the house and by other retaining walls. I’ve read the section on edge courses which seems to suggest that it is preferable to still have an edge course even though it is structurally not required because some fixed structures already provide the restraint. I would rather not have to lay the edge courses unless there was going to be some disadvantage to not doing so.
Has anyone got any views? Has anyone laid block paving right up to existing walls without using edge courses? Thanks.
Gareth Griffiths

Tony McC
Site Admin

The edge course makes it *so* much easier to complete the cutting-in. No professional installer in full command of their senses ever lays block paving aginst walls without having an edge course in place.

Try it for yourself - how accurately can you cut a bloock against the wall when all the rest of the paving is in place? Now, put a couple of blocks down as a temporary edge course, and see how much easier it is to mark and cut the infill block accurately.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Griff71

Thanks for the advice, which makes a lot of sense. I will lay edging courses then, that’s really helpful.
Gareth Griffiths

mistajay

Tony McC wrote:The edge course makes it *so* much easier to complete the cutting-in. No professional installer in full command of their senses ever lays block paving aginst walls without having an edge course in place.

Try it for yourself - how accurately can you cut a bloock against the wall when all the rest of the paving is in place? Now, put a couple of blocks down as a temporary edge course, and see how much easier it is to mark and cut the infill block accurately.
Tony, so could i lay the blocks and when i get near to the perimeter that has a reatining wall around lay the edge course on the sharp, then offer up my blocks to be cut?

or would i have to bed the perimeter first
Thanks
We all need help

mistajay

Tony McC wrote:The edge course makes it *so* much easier to complete the cutting-in. No professional installer in full command of their senses ever lays block paving aginst walls without having an edge course in place.

Tony, so could i lay the blocks and when i get near to the perimeter that has a reatining wall around lay the edge course on the sharp, then offer up my blocks to be cut?

or would i have to bed the perimeter first
Thanks
We all need help

Tony McC
Site Admin

Read the main website - particularly this page
Site Agent - Pavingexpert