Soakaway feasibility?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
gazdavtom

Hi,

I’ve been researching soakaways and the general advice is that they should not be positioned within 5m of a building or highway nor within 2.5m of a boundary. I was hoping to install one in my garden but I fear there won’t be sufficient room to meet this criteria. My garden is approx 10.8m long with buildings (neighbour’s garages) at the rear boundary and it is 7.7m wide with a neighbours garden on one side and a highway (residential car park) on the other. Given the layout, could a soakaway ever be feasible? Would appreciate any insight on this.
GT

vinny40405

Hi, I wonder if you have looked at taking the pipe of water further out? Or with out looking from an ariel view is there any where close that would reach?
For instance our soil pipe goes to the bottom of the garden 40 foot, then joins a circle of pipework around our culde sac? Have you researched the rain pipe or seen if the water pipe could go further with permission from neighbours?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I would go 5 m from your House and 2 m from the neighbours fence,if its deep enough it will be fine
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

gazdavtom

The soakaway is for a small patio (6 x 2.6m) and a single garage roof (pent style) so probably less than 25m squared surface area. I don’t know the permeability of the soil but I did manage to dig out some local borehole records. Generally the records showed a top layer of brick earth varying in depth from 0.5m to 1.2m. This was then followed by compact yellow silty sandy c.m.f gravel (well, that’s how it was described) that varied in thickness from 2.6m to 4.5m. Assuming I find something similar in my garden, does anyone know if this sounds promising?
GT

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I think you are over worrying Gaz
Ideally you should use a crate system but a lot with similar just use a water butt for the garage and nothing for the patio
we work on the lines that every 15M2 of roof needs 1 M3 of soakaway
of course if the ground is non permeable ,all that happens is that the soakaway fills up and the water then permeates through the topsoil
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE