Height of water for water test - What's current bs requirement?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
andyscotland

Hi,

I'm looking to clarify the current British Standards requirement for head of water for a drain test.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain11.html#watertest gives figures for BS 8301 but I think that's been superseded by BS EN 1610 and I can't find anything on Google that confirms what that standard requires?

The min/max in Doc H are different to the ones on this site, and polypipe's install documentation gives much lower values (100mm above highest invert) so a bit confused about what the official requirement is.

Thanks very much!

Tony McC
Site Admin

The relevant documents would be BS EN 752:2017 which you can get via this link and BS EN 1610:2015 - this link

As BS documents aren't particularly cheap and are strictly (and strongly policed) Crown Copyright, there's no great incentive to publish the content therein on the web so some other bugger can get their mitts on it free of charge. :D

However, the gist of the current requirement is to have a head of water at least level with the top of the upstream MH/IC or a min 1m above invert. It's slightly more technical than that, but, as I said, Crown Copyright is not something you ignore lightly!

The info given on the main site about the drain testing requirements is desperately in need of updating - it's on my To Do list as soon as I get a chance, but it probably won't happen until after the new site launches later this spring.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

andyscotland

Fair point :) They're a bit unfeasibly expensive for a one-off self-build but appreciate I should take that up with the Crown :)

Thanks for the info, and for all the work you put I to the site generally.

jwill

The testing page is quite detailed but I suppose it doesn't include the head of water height?

Tony McC
Site Admin

The info, as out-of-date as it may be, *is* there - Head Height
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

andyscotland

Indeed it is. jwill it was just that I was confused as I'd found different values here, in Doc H, and from polypipe. So I wasn't sure what was current/correct.

However I've since confirmed that the values on the testing page are slightly out of date. Doc H matches the current BS. And polypipe tech support have discovered the testing info in their installation docs has been misprinted - everything that says mm is in fact cm!