Block paving drainage

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Alex1357

Hello,

I am looking at block paving my driveway.

I obviously plan to drain it in line with the regulations. Originally I had planned to have a SUDS trench along the right hand side, but it is apparent I can't really do this due to the flag on edges on that side of the drive (please correct me if I am wrong!).

I am not keen on permeable paving, I don't like the look of it.

Due to the fall of the land, I can only drain this to the right. Is my only option an attenuation cell beneath the block paving? I am keen to avoid this if anyone else can think of better ideas- as it'd have to be right in the corner to be at least 5m away from the building!

If there is no relatively easy solution, I think I'd re gravel it with a proper block edge, and do the pathway properly.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks

seanandruby
Site Admin

Where does the house rainwater pipe drain to? Isn't there an inspection chamber for that and is it deep enough to connect your aco to? Maybe under all that stone there is a chamber of some sort :;):
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

it looks relatively new the house,I am sure that drain runs somewhere!
and putting cells under paving is routinely done in proper jobs
just has to be capped with concrete
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Alex1357

It is attached to the main drain, the inspection chamber is right in the middle of the neighbours driveway!
I could connect it to the drain, but I didn't think you were allowed to if it was draining over 5m2 though? ???

Tony McC
Site Admin

You are supposed to apply for planning consent to either discharge onto a highway or into an existing SW system. The local authority can refuse consent if there is a reasonable opportunity to use a SUDS option, but on your relatively small plot, getting a soakaway to be 5m from the house is tricky and a rain garden (or simiular) may not work. Even a sub-driveway soakaway would be awkward to arrange, although you could, perhaps, use one of the sub-base replacement systems or, of course, permeable paving.

Depending on your budget and your keenness to be SUDS-friendly, you have to choose accordingly. The Planning Consent usually costs around 200 quid and is the better option when you have a clay or hard sub-grade. The sub-base replacements work surprisingly well in the right conditions but, IMO, are over-priced for what they are. A simple sub-driveway soakaway is simpler but you really do need a permeable sub-grade for them to be effective.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert