Anyone know the cost of fixing a sewerage pipe? - Broke one

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Hi guys,

Broke a sewerage pipe several months ago. Found out today.

My excess is 1k so am considering options.

I need to remove a fence post and cut out some concrete but if I do all that and excavate around the broken part any idea of cost?

Ta

seanandruby
Site Admin

Don't think you can price a job like that without knowing the extent of the damage. Could be straight forward and a day's work, could involve cctv, could involve overpumping from manhole to manhole. One things for sure you need to have materials, tools , bungs etc: ready to go. I would imagine it will be 100/ 150 dia' tops.
sean

Forestboy1978

Cheers Sean,

Going through insurance anyway so excess is a grand plus bumping my premium...

Oh well. Would have fixed it myself but the guy was that 1 in 100 customers who turns out to be a bit of a tosser so don't really want to do business with him.

Forestboy1978

In retrospect I don't think I broke this sewerage pipe.

I saw it, thought long and hard about what action to take and cut post down and put wider anchor of concrete on it with about an inch of dirt down first to separate the post and the pipe.

Subsequently next door neighbour fitted a right bodge of a gate to that post in god knows what manner. Probably the cause of the breakage from impact stress.

You don't cut down a concrete post to avoid breaking a pipe then just break the damn pipe....

Shouldn't these things be lower than that anyhow?

seanandruby
Site Admin

One of the reasons why we surround in concrete if a pipe is to high in the ground. Plastic pipe if less than 600 in lanscaped should be concreted, less than 900 in a road , or drive. Clay is 300 on lanscaped and 600 in road, drive etc: an inch of soil over a pipe don't cut it i'm afraid ??? :O
sean

Dave_L
Site Admin

I’m not familiar with the landscape and depths but surely if it was this shallow you could repair this yourself, thus saving the increased insurance costs next year and so on? I’d check the runs and nearby manholes, check its not too busy a pipe and work accordingly.

But...if overpumping etc was required then yes, probably better to own up and get your insurers involved - not to mention the dangers of sewer gases/confined spaces etc etc
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page