Binding loose gravel

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
JohnBeeBee

Hi,

I have a garden path made of sandstone 'planks' with a few inch gap between and around each plank. Filling in the gaps is gravel however the gravel keeps ending up all over the lawn and planks when the kids and dog are running around the garden. Is there anything I can use to bind the gravel together a bit to encourage it to stay in place. I don't want to fill it with resin but wasn't sure if there was something like a spray on resin that would 'glue' the gravel together.

Thanks

seanandruby
Site Admin

cellular system
Maybe you have the gravel to high, reduce the height of it so that it has an edge restraint.
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

agree with Sean
maybe its the wrong sort of gravel
angular is best as it knits together
and no there isnt a spray for bonding gravel together AFAIK. just mega expensive Resin :;):
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

JohnBeeBee

Thanks for the advice, however I already have the gravel in the path and in drainage channels around patios and a log cabin, and its been selected to match the patio so changing it or putting in a cellular system isn't really an option.

The gravel is at the height of the planks and pretty shallow so can't really have any less in than I have and I don't think it would make any difference anyway. The problem is the planks are offset from each other so the gravel at the sides of each plank is quite wide (photo of the garden in progress here https://photos.app.goo.gl/ejHCbsMRHgpC1BTPA) so the kids and and dogs feet easily end up messing it up.

I've just put a two part resin in the patio pointing (gtfx vdw 850 I think) and was wondering if anything like the resin liquid that comes with that was available to buy separately and I could spray the gravel with that? Thought that may work?

Any ideas on what I could use would just to reduce if not eliminate the problem would be appreciated.

seanandruby
Site Admin

I would just slab the lot and ditch the gravel.
sean

Nigel Walker

JohnBeeBee There is seomething available in Australia and is exactly what you are wanting.
Not sure if something similar is available in the UK.

search on google for 'pour on gravel binder australia' StoneSet is the company. I think they are or used to be related to SureSet in the UK

You could try the main resin suppliers in the UK and see what they say

JohnBeeBee

Thanks Nigel. I'll take a look at that

JohnBeeBee

Nigel Walker

Why not give it a go and see how it turns out.
You can be the guinea pig !!
It recommends keeping the aggregate size between 1 and 10mm.

I would advise taping the ends of your flags and possibly using a very small watering can.

The last thing that you want is the resin binder getting on your flags.

Have a go on a small trial area first before taking the plunge and doing the lot
Take care and let us know what happens

Good luck