Replacing cracked drain gully - What is going on here?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
mattski

Hi
this is my first post so please be gentle

I wanted to replace a gully that is taking rainwater from the garage roof, and so that I can also tap in with a channel drain from a patio that I'm building.

The drain pipe is made from clay and it appears that part where gully is connected to the main pipe is cemented in (wtf)

Can anyone suggest what and how to tackle this.
I have tried to chisel out the cement a bit and managed to do it to the point of what I suspect is a beginning of a joint.

Then I have tried to chisel out the cement on the joining pipe but after going in around 10mm deep I gave in as I did not want to damage anything.

I'm considering hiring a man as I'm simply scared
Any suggestions welcome

seanandruby
Site Admin

On old clay drainage the spigot goes into the collar, a black yarn is inserted around the spigot and tapped in tight, then mortar is packed in to the collar and smoothed off and haunched. That made the pipe watertight. It was very labour intensive back in the day, we didn't have the luxury of push fit then. Cut it off to the right of that collar and buy a clay to plastic adaptor from one of the sheds, replace gully with a plassy one.
sean

mattski

cool, that would explain the ridiculous amount of mortar around the pipe.
just to confirm that i understand you correctly.

cut the clay pipe past the wider part (at the visible narrow bit) get an adaptor and a gully that I need.
Will an angle grinder manage to cut this?

Thanks in advance

seanandruby
Site Admin

Correct, angle grinder will be fine. You might need do several cuts to get you cutter in then tidy it up after. After you get pipe out can you smash at collar to confirm the yarn in there, just for curiosity, see if was done right :;):
sean

seanandruby
Site Admin

Correct, angle grinder will be fine. You might need do several cuts to get you cutter in then tidy it up after. After you get pipe out can you smash at collar to confirm the yarn in there, just for curiosity, see if was done right :;):
sean

mattski

sure thing will do :)

mattski

sorry for late reply.
so managed to get it all done.
what I found was that under the cement there was another clay pipe about 10-15cm long conected to the part that i initially exposed. and to that bit there was a 90* clay bend. all cemented together

seanandruby
Site Admin

Wonder if that was a trap? Back in the day we used to do traps using an assortment of bends.
sean