Re-pointing options for riven concrete patio - Polymeric aggregate versus sand/cement m

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
muckypots

I'm looking for some advice on re-pointing a small but complex area of patio/steps.

I've just moved into a property where the back garden is nearly all composed of small element buff dyed-concrete paving and 'Cotswold' walls - I suspect Bradstone or similar. The paving units are small and the surface is heavily riven. I have some photos but I can't see how to attach them - if anyone's interested I can send them separately.

Some of the paving slabs are loose, which I will need to re-bed with sand/cement mortar, but most of the joints are shot and the whole lot will need to be re-pointed. There is some soil weeds in the degraded joints, which I'll have to deal with beforehand.

I am not a professional (at least not at this type of work!) but I'd call myself an enthusiastic DIYer and quite happy to have a stab at this myself.

My issue is with what type of jointing material to use. The factors are:
The paving elements are very small, and if I get some cement staining along the edges of the joints then it will amount to a heck of a lot of staining overall.
There are a lot of steps and the unbroken flat areas are small. Therefore trying to use a big mix of wet slurry, as seen on countless Youtube videos, could end up completely out of control.
The surface is heavily riven, so it might be difficult to sweep away any slurry.
I live in west Wales, possibly the wettest place on the planet, so the chance of an extended dry period is slim - and the chance of an unexpected downpour high. Anything that can be done in the rain would be welcomed.

All this is leading me towards Marshall's Weatherpoint 365 polymeric aggregate, for the following reasons:
It is tolerant of wet conditions - indeed needs a wet surface
It appears that I can use as much or as little as I want at a time and I'm not committed to a given quantity or area.
There is apparently no waste and I can re-use any surplus.
It's currently on offer at Travis Perkins!

This is what I will go with unless I hear anything from you guys to the contrary. Any advice will be hugely welcome.

Thanks in advance
Mal Jones

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

sadly in my experience weatherpoint geofix and all of the other polymerics do NOT stand the test of time
sand a cement pointing will be cheapest material wise but will drive you nuts
I would use GFTK VDW 850 or Romex D1
both these are 2 part epoxy mortars and are bullet proof
but the paving needs to be solid and clean first
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

muckypots

Thanks Lagerlout (more of an IPA man myself!) for the quick response

I'm not hugely concerned about the longevity of the re-pointing - it's a small enough area that I won't object to a bit of patching or re-pointing again in a few years.
My chief concerns with the resin slurry are:
It's such a fiddly and bitty area that the slurry will cure quicker than I can get it satisfactorily installed and I will end up with a mess. I guess it's child's play to a Professional such as yourself...but it looks awfully committing to an amateur!
The paving elements are very small and rough, with the edges very chamfered. If I use a self-leveling slurry the patio will end up all joint, whereas it looks like I can strike the Weathershield into the joint and brush off the excess.

I very much appreciate your advice and not dismissing it but, other than the durability of the completed job, are there any other reasons why Weatherpoint wouldn't be suitable?

Cheers
Mal

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

as a professional I like to use products that stand the test of time ~ 15 years +
polymerics do NOT
if you are happy to use weatherpoint or easijoint or sika pave good luck with it ,but please dont say you have not been advised :;):
all the best
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

muckypots

Thanks again Lagerlout

I'll go for the Rompox D1 as suggested - based on your advice and the numerous Youtube demonstrations it looks like a more solid job. Again, trying to limit committing myself to a whole tub and risking it getting away from me is there any reason why I can't split the 25kg pack - weighing out half the aggregate, measuring half the resin, and using one bottle of water?

Cheers
Mal

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

if split correctly no reason at all
just follow the instructions carefully
good luck
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE