Stable yard floor - Stable yard floor help

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
An Expert At Being An Exp

I am currently drawing up plans to replace the muddy clay yard to prevent it becoming a slush pool every winter and 90% of the time in this UK weather.....

The Yard will be subject to heavy foot traffic and horses regularly. However I intend to just put a hardcore base down and compact it, then place mats over the top.

The question I have is how much Hardcore would I need! The mud is basically typical Suffolk Clay and retains water throughout the year. I am assuming I would need 6 inches of hardcore and compact it down to create a stable / level base. I'm also assuming I wouldn't need any other materials. Please correct me if I am wrong!

The area is 12m x 6m so quite a size to cover.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

putting hardcore on soft ground with no new drainage will not solve anything
really you need a drain somewhere
I do work for a farmer and he has plans like this all the time :;):
I had an idea that a farmyard requires at least 150 of Type 1 compacted and then 200mm of concrete to falls >>> to a drain
if you choose to go your own way around 10m3 or 20 tonnes of hardcore will do it
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

DempseyLiverpool

As LLL says waste of time drainage installed, type 1 and concrete with brushed finish.
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245

Concrete is a defo no no due to the requirement for the long winded affair of Planning Permission.

As long as the slush pool will be reduced somewhat, drainage will not be the issue. I'm assuming that 6 inches of hardcore would be suffice to prevent the mud sloshing up. The horses weigh quite a lot and I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly) that if the water did sit around the hardcore and on top at least there won't be mud seeping through everywhere. Addition it "should" provide a stable ground that won't keep sinking everywhere.....

In two of the stables (which is currently a mud floor, covered with mats then bedding) the intention is to hardcore the base, topped with chalk (3 inches or so) and mat this over with a small bedding area. Hopefully this will prevent the ground sinking and moving over the year like it normally does. It's uncomfortable for the horses and a pita flattening it every year.

DempseyLiverpool

From 10+ years working with horses I never came across any mud based stables or type 1 yards. Every yard I had anything to do with all had hardstanding concrete, block paving, stone etc and suitable drainage for both yards and stables.

There are lads on here that do a fair bit of equestrian work so maybe they'll advise better.
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245

Well now you have come across someone with mud stables :D

Only the competition horses have concrete floors. The rest have mud with mats and bedding on top.

It's only now we are looking to expand some luxury but planning permission for more concrete would take forever and unlikely to be granted. So hardcore base will do.