Cotswold stone retaining wall

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
bhwh

Can anyone point me in the direction of help on the main site with building a terrace/retaining wall using concrete blocks as the structural element and walling stone as the pretty looking outer skin? I see it done all the time around here (Gloucestershire) but can't find much info online...

I've used this brilliant website before and built a good retaining wall in the past using concrete blocks, asking a professional to render. It looked great for the modern look but in this garden I'm after a cotswold stone finish to give a more natural / cottage look.

The wall is going to be approx. 2-3ft tall at the highest point. I'd like it to curve if possible but worried this is beyond my skill level?

Any links / help massively appreciated. I could go down the timber sleeper route or gabions but would prefer to match some of the existing limestone walls already in the garden. Also, I have loads and loads of concrete blocks piled up that need using so thought they'd be good for the retaining strength.

bhwh

I’ve found a couple of links that show the sort of thing

http://www.haggleysfarm.co.uk/blog/?p=2709

http://www.njtanner.co.uk/mulberry-house.html

Any advice on the ties or mortar on rear face of stone would be very welcome

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

you can either use standard wall ties ,which may not work from blocks to stone course wise
or fix an L shape fish tail tie every 3-450 mm vertically and 675 mm horizontally
I have done flint walls on to a block back and the second option works
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

bhwh

Thanks for the advice.

I’ve been wondering what the differences are between the tie designs so that’s helpful to know what works best.

I’m assuming the L fishtail ties Are these ones?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

yes!
you can get different lengths to suit the thickness of your stone

we would build the concrete wall first and then fix the ties as we go with the stone work

please do NOT forget weepholes

cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

bhwh

Many thanks. I was thinking of building the block work retainer with weep holes and with perforated pipe. But didn’t think the stone face would need holes too. Is that daft?!

Also, I understand that the rear of the stone can be mortared even though at the front I’m after a dry look. But do you leave a cavity at all or does the mortar fix to the block work?

Cheers for help