Reclaimed cobbles for a driveway - Driveway specifications - are they ok?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
jaycee

What a fab website, with the answers to almost every question possible. I have used the search function but am struggling a bit as cobbles and setts sometimes seem to be used interchangably.
I have a section of old "cobbles" around the side of the house, which I think are local millstone grit. They are very large with rounded edges, but I think I have found a reclaimation yard with similar.
Can I check the specifications for a driveway if we used similar cobbles?
(cobbles 150-200mm)
bedding layer 125mm - should this be deeper given the cobbles are so deep?
sub/base layer 520mm
Would this be suitable depth for the occasional use by a truck?
At the moment we are struggling to find a company who is interested in laying reclaimed cobbles (possibly as we need other landscaping/drainage done as well and its a huge task), so we are thinking of getting the preparation done for the drive (leaving the garden drainage/landscaping for later). Is this approach sensible? We are assuming that we can pull cars off the road onto this temporary surface (using spare flags to level out drops from pavement). Does anyone have any thoughts? And what would happen if we then laid a new rather than reclaimed product on the already prepared base? Would the bedding layer then be too thick?
Many thanks for any thoughts on this epic project!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

there are a ton of companies that lay reclaimed setts in the north west
http://www.pavingexpert.com/contractor_list.htm

Build pave and scape ,original stone paving company, brockstone paving and paving by dempsey spring to mind

cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

Millstone grit only ever comes as setts. You do get the occasional MG cobble, but they are occasional, and never in large quantities.

The definitions for setts and cobbles can be found here. In short, if the stones are dressed or worked into rough six-sided lumps of stone, they are setts.

Then, the build-up depends on just what you have and to what use you plan to put it. If these are setts, as I suspect, then there is a prcedure to determine the build-up that is based on the size of the setts and the likely traffic usage. If you really are planning on putting a truck over it, then it will need to be a considerable build-up, and would most likely require a bound base as well as an unbound sub-base.

Determine just what it is you have and plan from there.....
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

jaycee

many thanks for the heads up on other companies, the ones I have tried are local, so I will give those a call.
And yes my "cobbles" are large setts....
Many thanks,