Tapering limestone setts - Am i insane?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
matthewmoore3

Hi!

I am making a small (160cm diameter) round patio with 100mm limestone setts around 3cm thick

I am tapering every other sett to get the curve without triangular joints, which i dont like the look of.

I am now aware cutting small amounts from the edge of limestone setts isnt easy due to the fineness of the amount and how brittle the matefial is.

First I tried block splitter and the results were pretty terrible.. it tended to crack the sett in some undesirable way or other.

Then i tried a chisel and hammer. It works better than the block splitter, but is pretty labourious and slow progress, and the hit rate of success isnt high.. ive wasted quite a few.

I dont know if its the quality of my chisel work, but it occured to me what im trying to do is pretty darn difficult.

Now I think a saw or angle grinder would be my best bet...

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Would this perhaps be easier with sandstone? Limestone seems pretty brittle for such small cuts

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I think most would maybe taper the inner 5-6 rows but then as the radii increases ,use full sets
disc cutter and you must tape both sides
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

matthewmoore3

Cool.. thanks LLL

Tony McC
Site Admin

Here's a setting-out sketch for creating a circle using 100mm setts showing by how much the setts in each successive ring need to be trimmed to maintain consistent (ish) joint width (10-14mm)....

....For the ideal circle, the centre stone and the first 12 rings need trimming, as shown, but by the time you reach the 13th ring, it's p[ossible to use full, untrimmed setts and still achieve reasonable joint widths: 13mm on the outer edhge but a tight 6mm on the inside edge. From the 14th ring on, it just gets easier and easier.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert