One for tony mc - Boiling pitch

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
digerjones

It's a art form
dylan

digerjones

It's block paving with wood but alot harder.
dylan

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

seen this done indoors but never outdoors Dylan
be interested how it pans out mate :-)
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

higgness
Site Admin

My mum had it done with teak wood block flooring, fantastic, tough hard wearing floor, down about 15 years, resanded once. Be careful with the adhesive, still finding dust in the house from the first sanding.
I remember coming home to see the guy laying, I arranged him, great guy, the floor was pitch black from the glue. In fairness he did a great job.
Couple of years later l laid a glue down floor myself, was sore for weeks, but it still looks great.

digerjones

Trouble is I had 3 different blocks, it made it interesting. Different sizes different thickness and different colours.
dylan

Tony McC
Site Admin

Late to this, I know, but I saw my owld feller do that 20-odd years ago for a mate of his who worked in a pallet yard.

This was obviously a plan the pair of them cooked up in St Joe's club one night when there was a lock-in. Keith would get a load of hardwood strips from his works (who knew pallet makers had access to hardwood???) and Dad would then boil up some roofing pitch (not quite the same as the jointing pitch we used back then - more viscous), slather it over the concrete floor in Keith's front room, and they'd quickly press down the 'acquired' slats of timber as a 45° herringbone pattern while the pitch was still molten.

They even allowed for running the plate compactor over the timbers as the pitch cooled!

I said I'd have nothing to do with it, that it was bound to end in disaster, there's be snots of pitch everywhere, the wood would warp, and Keith's missus was seriously scary when she got riled.

So they went ahead without me (I think they dragged our Brendan in to help).

It was as rough as a bear's arse, of course, and looked just like what it was: some bits of pallet off-cuts badly glued down with stinky black goo.

But Keith then set about it with a floor sander, and the next time I saw it, the improvement was stunning. It looked bloody gorgeous, almost like a real parquet floor. The pair of them tried to convince me that, on some older Victorian properties, this is how parquet flooring had been done (without the Wacker plate, obvs!). I was never sure whether to believe them or not.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

digerjones

Finished the skirting etc. a few weeks ago. Wife using this space for a gallery at the moment.
dylan

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

if that is your other half's paintings then the floor does them justice
nice work
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE