Ants in paving

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
jwill

Noticed little bits of kiln sand that the ants seem to be bringing up on my neighbours drive. What's the score with this? Are they just nesting in the joints which isn't a massive problem or are they nesting in the sharp sand underneath? I've never really given it any thought till I noticed this...

ResiblockBoss

Hi Jwill
Resiblock 22 will eradicate all burrowing insects from appearing/reappearing on your block paving.
PM me with your address and I’ll send you some with my compliments - you will then be able to judge for yourself.
Craig
ResiblockBoss

Tony McC
Site Admin

The ants *will* be creating tunnels and nesting chambers in the laying course sand, and, over time, these will collapse and there's a risk the paving will settle ever so slightly.

This may not be much of a problem if there is plenty of fall on the pavement, but on flattish surfaces, even a millimetre or two of settlement can lead to ponding, and, from then on, the problem ony ever gets worse. Never known a pond get better over time!

They key is to keep the ants (and other burrowing/mining insects) out of the pavement and Craig's generous offer will certainly help minimise the risk by effectively blocking their way into and out of the bedding via the jointing.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Granitechops

Had ants for years in our back yard ( cracked concrete slabs)
4 years ago got some rhubarb leaves, left them to soak(rot!) for a week or two in water, then poured the liquid produced down the entry holes. no ants for 4 years! just had to give only a second application last month.
The active natural ingredient, OXALIC Acid. Would this work on concrete pavers ?
or would it degrade the concrete, does'nt appear to be very strong, but the ants hate it, they emmigrate!!
Don.