Drive above dpc - Remedy drive height problems

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
FatJuan

Hi all
I need some advice about my 1904 semi. It is quite low compared to where the drive is. Really the drive is quite high as we are on a slope from the road. It has been built up over time. There is a bay window that has had plastic put against it to shield the DPC and earth has been put there. Lots of plants, wife will go ballistic when they go. The house is dry but I realise this is not ideal. I have been advised to excavate away this earth and fill with pea shingle.

The drive is about 1m from this bay and about 225mm too high in comparison with the DPC. I don't know if the images will arrive!

Firstly do I need a retaining wall for the existing drive, it is some way from the bay could I just take out the soil and refill with pea shingle at a lower finishing level?

If I build a retaining wall how deep should the concrete foundations be, same depth as house foundations, About 1.2m? I think, how wide should the wall be 225mm? I was going to use engineering bricks. Do I need supporting piers to buttress the retaining wall. The earth type is London Clay. Any other advice gratefully recieved. My aim is to drop the pea shingle next to house wall at least 150mm below dpc.
Thanks for any help.

Image2
Diyer

seanandruby
Site Admin

sean

FatJuan

Thanks for this. I knew it would be on the site somewhere, just could not find it!
Diyer

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

my 1922 semi is a similar scenario
however no Damp
if it aint broke! dont fix it :-)
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

FatJuan

I am beginning to see the sense in the above statement (sheer Lazyness on my part!)
Diyer