Patio linear drainage

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Matty

Hi,

I have recently had a patio installed and the installers put a linear drainage system in that runs along my house and connects to the roof guttering down pipe. Where the linear drain comes up to the soil down pipe they haven't gone round it but rather just left a gap and started again the other side. Is this correct? I can't see how the water can bridge the gap and it seems the water will run into the ground at this point. Hope this makes sense. Here's some pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/151107181@N07

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Can you do a close up of the soil pipe and linear drain arrangement?
the patio looks fine but as you say water wont run through a solid pipe!
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Matty

Thanks for you reply. I'm away at the the minute so will post a photo when I get back. But basically the channel stops at either side of the down pipe and is open ended with no end cap fitted so I can only assume they think the water will flow around the soil pipe but surely it will just flow into the ground. I have put some other photos up which might make it a bit clearer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/151107181@N07

TIA

seanandruby
Site Admin

Can't see the need for a channel anyway ???
sean

Matty

It is quite a big area 25m2 with a run off towards the house. If a channel isn't needed is having one going to cause a problem?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Thought fall was awsy from house, sorry. But you could use one of the bosses workarounds...here
sean

Matty

I don't have a problem with the dpc level I could however use the word round of bringing the channel forward and putting gravel against the the house. My question however is if I need to do this or if the current arrangement is sufficient ?

joydivision

It definitely doesn't discharge on the other side of the house also?
Just the 1 outlet?

JD
A tidy job is a happy job.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Looks to me like he could of reversed the fall away from the house. That set up for an aco is a no no. The side of the house could of had a lot more thought? To much shingle for my liking, could/should of been slabbed wider.
sean

Matty

joydivision wrote:It definitely doesn't discharge on the other side of the house also?
Just the 1 outlet?

JD
Yeh just the one.

Matty

My main concern if this set up will cause me problems and if I need to get him back to change anything.

seanandruby
Site Admin

The whole point of a linear drain is to carry the water away. It is not designed to stop and start
When it comes up against an obstruction. It defeats the object and is a waste of time and money if it doesn't connect to a drain. Did he design the whole lot? Yes it will cause problems if the water is laying against the wall, think freeze thaw. Get him to redesign the drainage.
sean

Matty

It does connect to a drain at the side of the house. Yep he designed it all. Another potential problem I ve spotted is the aco channel isn't level with drain so the water won't even run into the drain.