Non paying customer

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

OK so basically I've done a lot of work over the years for this customer and as a result when they asked me to do some work for them recently just clearing over grown areas and a bit of hedge work I gave them a day rate. I hate doing that cos I feel under pressure. I much prefer to agree a price for A,B and C and then complete to customers satisfaction. On this ocassion I figured they had such a lot of work to be done I said I would have thought 3 guys can get the bulk of it done in a day and that will cost blah blah. I did it this way cos I thought there's a chance it could get done in a day but if I'd have commited to a quote I would have covered my ass and billed it as 2 days and probably been out in 1 - 1 +/34

They said OK. No quote given. Just verbal.

Did the days work, was not our best effort. Couple of machines weren't on their best behaviour and it was 30 degrees. Hey ho, we did get the bulk done. Roughly 60%.

Sent invoice. Got a reply saying I thought you were going to do this and that and t'other. I said er no, I specifically said we'd get what could be done done.

In the end I said ok look I don't want to argue about it. My mistake, I'll never not provide a formal quote again. Lesson learn't I'll send the guys over to finish the top of the large hedge. Asked guys to make sure they are happy before they left. They did, they said they're happy. They also said the woman said she had no problem with them but was annoyed with me blah blah blah. Anyway, emailed them for payment of invoice. No response. They aint gonna pay it's patently clear.

Soo... I'm in a bind. On principle I want to declare war. I've not done anything wrong as far as I can ascertain, I've even acquiesced to their demand which effectively meant that I ended up doing a days labour for free in the blistering heat. So I am pretty damn *issed.

I'm on checkatrade though a google etcetera and have yet not got a bad review out of 110 reviews so far. I can take the financial hit but the principle gets me. Don't want the review though which if I force them to pay by bugging the crap out of them till they buckle I'll certainly get that bad review. Also, again rarely, I did not take photos. Don't really advertise for hedge work any more as it aggravates my shoulder arthritis something chronic, hence why I don't bother taking photos of hedge work.

dig dug dan

Firstly, under no circumstances allow them to get away without paying. Even if its 20quid, they need to pay.
you will need to put in writing politely that the invoice is overdue. Then if you get no response, write again and explain that you expect payment within 14days, make sure its recorded delivery, or you will take further action.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

dig dug dan wrote:Firstly, under no circumstances allow them to get away without paying. Even if its 20quid, they need to pay.
you will need to put in writing politely that the invoice is overdue. Then if you get no response, write again and explain that you expect payment within 14days, make sure its recorded delivery, or you will take further action.
Can't do it! The money is not worth ruining my "so far" very good reputation.

dig dug dan

Thats rubbish and nonsense. But your choice
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

michaelthegardener

why did you give a day rate if you don't like working on a day rate ?

Forestboy1978

michaelthegardener wrote:why did you give a day rate if you don't like working on a day rate ?
I'm an idiot?

I just figured it was potentially doable in a day but could take 2. Really difficult to know. If I'd have quoted it I would have quoted 2 days. I thought I was doing them a favour.

Never again...

Forestboy1978

dig dug dan wrote:Thats rubbish and nonsense. But your choice
How is it rubbish? 109 great reviews. Get a bad 1 for a poultry sum of money... pointless.

You're not getting me. I'm spitting feathers. If I was not on checkatrade etcetera I'd be declaring war. They are scum but the damage they can do to me is far more than a small financially loss. Some people check for lowest graded reviews and if you have a single bad one they'll go with someone else.

dig dug dan

Forestboy1978 wrote:
dig dug dan wrote:Thats rubbish and nonsense. But your choice

How is it rubbish? 109 great reviews. Get a bad 1 for a poultry sum of money... pointless.

You're not getting me. I'm spitting feathers. If I was not on checkatrade etcetera I'd be declaring war. They are scum but the damage they can do to me is far more than a small financially loss. Some people check for lowest graded reviews and if you have a single bad one they'll go with someone else.
If you have all your eggs in one basket, and just rely on that checkatrade, there is a problem. Unfortunately, while you may get good customers from it, you get more idiots who know they can get away with not paying because of the reviews. Sad really.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

lemoncurd1702

One bad review is not going to ruin your rep. Most people can see through one bad review when all the rest are good.
Also explain situation to my builder and request they take the review down.
Don't know why you rely on my builder when a good website and facebook page will get at least the same leads if not more.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Tony McC
Site Admin

Forestboy1978 wrote:No quote given. Just verbal.
This is the cause of the problem in about 70% of the cases in which I get involved either as the expert witness or as an arbitrator.

I'm not bothered if the work is for your mum: put it in writing, then you know what you are doing and they know what they are getting.

This would allow me to retire, impoverished, but happy!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Forestboy1978

Tony McC wrote:
Forestboy1978 wrote:No quote given. Just verbal.

This is the cause of the problem in about 70% of the cases in which I get involved either as the expert witness or as an arbitrator.

I'm not bothered if the work is for your mum: put it in writing, then you know what you are doing and they know what they are getting.

This would allow me to retire, impoverished, but happy!
Yep, I literally never do it. Never. This was the only times in years out of probably 500+ quotes. Lesson learn't.