New bitmac driveway crumbling - Need help and advice on dispute

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Notgrumpy

Hi All,

I need some expert bitmac advice please. I've recently bought a brand new Persimmon home with a bitmac drive. Recent hot weather and power steering has caused it to crumble in lots of places. It crumbles very easily and I can lift the aggregate up with my fingers on a hot day. It looks a mess and at the rate it's going I won't have much surface left after the summer. Persimmons contractor says we shouldn't be using the power steering in hot weather, and Persimmon have refuted our claim on the same basis. NHBC came round today and said the same 'well it is 26 degrees'. After some passionate words he was persuaded to instruct a hole sample to be taken to check the grade depths, which I expect are below standard. I also think the pen grade and bit mix may be wrong as it's so soft. I'm no expert but read all the pavingexpert pages on it!

Question to a bitmac expert who takes pride in their work: should a driveway you have laid crumble so easily in hot weather?

Having read the tarmac/bitmac pages on the paving expert, I'm convinced the material and work done isn't right. I'm down to sand after 10mm surface has crumbled away.

Any advice please?

Thank you
Gav
GN

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

cant use your drive because its hot? complete and utter bollocks
new laid stuff needs to cure before its used ,but from what you say its not fit for the purpose
Dave L is the expert here
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

seanandruby
Site Admin

Who is the groundworks subbie? Bet it's 1 2 3 Devines. Should be capping, dtp1, at least 80ml base and 30 ml wearing course. Can't lay on sand. As L L L suggests... Dave is yer man.
sean

Notgrumpy

Thanks for replies. Subbie is C3 Construction. I should add that I moved in last October, this has only started happening recently since the weather's got warm! What does capping, dtp1 mean?
G
GN

seanandruby
Site Admin

Capping is a layer to make up the ground after digging out any crap sub soil, wet spots etc: before formation. Dtp1 is sub base material.
sean

Notgrumpy

Thanks
GN

Dave_L
Site Admin

Need pics to be able to comment.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Notgrumpy

Dave can I email them direct to address on your website?
GN