Access gully in stone paving - How to cover the unsightly grid

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
LimeFan

Hi

Hoping someone can help with this query!

Are there alternatives to the unsightly plastic grid, combined with a large patch of mortar to seal around the pipe?

Gully

The pipe is from a kitchen sink, and the only good thing about it is it doesn't splash, but it's not an attractive feature in the stone paving!

Many thanks,

Ian

seanandruby
Site Admin

have you looked here
Looks like yous is a combination taking the surface water to.
sean

LimeFan

Hi Sean

Thanks for the reply, you're right it's a combined surface and grey water system in an old terraced house.

I have seen that page, cheers, and my drain arrangement is the first one labelled "gully".

The drain was fitted by a builder years ago, and I've managed to lower it and pave around it, but was wondering if this is the right sort of drain to use (too late now!) and if there are nice looking grids / covers that will fit, especially around the pipe as in my photo?

I could just fill the tray around the pipe with mortar but it might look a bit naff?

The old drain was built partly under the kitchen wall and badly paved over creating a lovely rat/mouse entry point!

Many thanks

Ian

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's a double hopper, so just replace it with a single hopper.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

LimeFan

Hi Tony
Many thanks for the reply.
Do you mean lifting the paving and replacing the gulley with one that just has a single grid?
I'm guessing that the standard way to deal with this type of gulley is to mortar around the pipes, which would look unsightly but may be the only choice without expensive re-working!
Many thanks,
Ian