Which roller

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Ollya

We've just been sealing our paving with Thompsons patio and block paving seal satin. We applied it with a roller that encouraged bubbles that have trapped dirt. I hope to be able to flat them away with 600 grade paper but what roller should I be using the doesn't make bubbles please?
https://www.dropbox.com/s....pg?dl=0

seanandruby
Site Admin

When you say just sealed, was it 100%
Dry and clean? Paving needs to be dry, not just on the surface. What type of roller did you use and what did Thompsons recommend?
sean

Ollya

It could have been cleaner and drier I'm sure but it was reasonable. We used a kind of fluffy squashy roller. Its in the bin. Thompsons recommended a deep pile roller.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Reasonable is not 100% ???
Please just follow instructions given by manufacturer next time. have a look here and also other sealant pages.
sean

Ollya

I'm not too sure how your answer relates to the question.

Tony McC
Site Admin

If Thompsons said that jollop they flog as a paving sealant needs to be applied with a deep pile roller, then you should have followed those instructions. By failing to do so, you've given the manufacturer a perfectly acceptable reason to say 'tough luck, pal'.

Not wanting to put words into Sean;'s mouth, but when he says "reasonable is not 100%" he means that having a pavement that is "reasonably" dry is NOT the same as having a pavement that is 100% bone dry, as is essential with so many of these sealants.

As for the trapped dirt, you can spend hours with the sandpaper, but it won't really help. Some of the dirt will have 'sunk' into the sealant and you will, egffectively, have to abrade down to bare paving to remove the offending particles. The best way to fix the problem if to get the correct solvent for that patio-ruiner jollop, strip the entire pavement, wash it down and allow it to dry THOROUGHLY - 3 warm and sunny days minimum with not a drop of moisture - and then apply a *quality* paving sealant suitable for the type of paving you have, following the manufacturers' installation guidance to the letter.

Probably not what you want to hear, but it is the only certain fix.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert