Setting a manhole - Manhole in carriageway

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Rawfella

Have a 150mm deep griptop Manhole to set on the carriageway what would you use to set my 125mm upstand, the grip top lid or the frame it's self???
There's a 20mm difference from top of lid to top of frame

Manhole cover I'm using:-

Griptop lid I'm using
R.W

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

does the lid sit high to the frame?
seems a little odd
I would say the highest point if its on a road but not sure now?
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

seanandruby
Site Admin

Used these on the airports. I did the nuts up to required level and used flow grout, up to underside and 20 ml above flange. Shuttered the inside edge and use a sealant if necessary to stop it flowing into manhole. That is St gobians recommendations. Bear in mind some of them were up to f900. I can't really suggest you go against St gobians recommendations. If you use compo and they fail you'd have no come back. Set the frame as finished height, or you'd never get the lid off, especially if concrete rd. If thay are going to be concreted in make sure you tape every gap in the lid.
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

The rule-of-thumb we always used for highway setting of ironwork was to have the frame 6mm below finished paving level. This ensured that surface water could not lodge against the grating/MH/hydrant cover, etc., no matter if the cover sat slightly proud in the frame.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

seanandruby
Site Admin

...Same as Tony. But on airports etc: engineers insisted the frame be level so no deviation in wheels incase heavy vehicles such as fuel lorries didn't dip. The fact that the cover's had raised anti-slip making it a rumbler was completly lost on them. Had engineers on underground car park insist gullies set level only to later break out and lower by 12/ 15ml. The mind boggles sometimes :laugh:
sean