Marshalls' brochure review - ....now online

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Tony McC
Site Admin

Can't believe it's almost April before I get this review published, but it was the beginning of March before they gave me the 'new products' walkthrough.

I'd be interested in your thoughts about the clever drain jobby block.

New Page
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

the drains look a fab idea Tony,but as with linear channels numptys will just lay them without a suitable outfall
I see drives going in all the time with linear channels just laid and not going anywhere!!!
this kinda stuff although a great idea will add to that orgazmatron of great ideas spoiled by eejits
interesting to see the price point of these at merchants
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

Just ordered the brochure. Love those drains. Look class!!

Tony McC
Site Admin

Yeah, the problem of just where to outfall the linear drain, whether it's a standard channel of these clever new block jobbies from Marshalls, remains a significant problem.

Since I updated the page about proper threshold drainage much of the feedback from, let's call them "unaware contractors", has been that they believed having an open end to a linear drain was sufficient to effect proper drainage.

Now, I'm sure that, for some of these "unaware contractors", that's utter bollocks and they know damned well it's a bodge but they can't be arsed doing it correctly and/or doing it correctly would cost too much and might cause them to lose the job on price. However, there are a few who, I honestly believe, think that having an open end *is* sufficient, and several of these have said that the bloke who "trained" then (and I use the term "trained" in its widest sense!) told them that was how it was done, and they were in no position to argue.

It would be great if, along with these cracking new channel-drain-blocks, Marshalls were to enclose a leaflet outlining the correct/legal ways of outfalling them to, say, a soakaway or even an existing IC (for patio installations). After all, they are currently pumping money into 'training' at so-called 'Landscaping Colleges', so why not spend just a few pennies on educating those beyond the reach of the colleges?

dig dug dan

when the local council here inspect driveways and say things like " we poured a bottle of water on the drive and it seemed to dissapear", and then say no drainage is required, what hope is there?
Those marshalls drains might look good, but how do you clean them out???
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Tony McC
Site Admin

There is (or should be!) and access box fitted at one end through which rods and/or jet washer can be inserted.

Like so many other forms of hollow-block drainage products, there is the inevitable risk of them silting-up and becoming festooned with weeds, but, if properly maintained, they should be very effective.

How many times do we see kerb-drains, slot drains or even linear channels within a public area (ie: the responsibility of the local authority) that are bunged up to buggery and back and all becaus ethere is no budget for regular cleaning and maintenance?

One of my favourite images taken in Stafford Town Centre last month......

....who, in their right mind, thought this was an acceptable 'repair' for a linear channel drain?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

permeable bitmac? hahaha
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE