Advice for gravel/shingle garden area - Sub-base needed? clay soil

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Alp078

Hi
Been reading here and elsewhere but can't decide for sure how to proceed.
We have a large(ish) area at the house end of our garden about 11m x 8m which will be paved nearest the house and outside some French doors for a seating area. Beyond this we want to install some raised beds and put down some gravel or chippings, undecided on style/size etc yet. My question is, should I put down any sub base before the gravel or just a decent weed membrane? We're on clay soil and in the process of lifting old pavers which sunk a little (though they were only bedded on 50mm sand/cement straight on the soil) and a concrete slab that makes up the rest of the area.
We've only lived here a year, but haven't noticed any significant puddling or drainage issues. My concern is to give the right base so the gravel doesn't all sink in and/or create drainage problems.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Read the main website for the definitive answer.

Use a sub-base if there will be *any* pedestrian traffic other than occasional weeding/maintenance - so, if it's to be a patio or mingling area, then a sub-base is needed.

Think about it: you have loose, small stones on top of a crap plastic sheet. How does that support *any* load? It doesn't, which is why a sub-base is essential beneath any area that will be walked upon more than 3 or 4 times a year.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Alp078

Thanks. What sort of depth would you suggest? Presumably type 1 would be fine?

Tony McC
Site Admin

Follow the link I gave you previously!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert