Doorstep pad

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Hawaii04

Hi. Driveway excavation is done and I'm planning the next stage. I'm having a brick doorstep with sandstone tread. My question is : can I put the concrete pad and build the step before I put my type 1 sub base down or is it usual practice to get the type 1 down first. Substrate ground is chalk/soil and fairly well compacted as it's had a concrete drive on it for 60 + years. Thanks.
John

rxbren

6 and half a dozen
Sometimes easier to stone everything up then dig and pad the concrete pad in afterwards.

If you di the pad first and do the brickwork you'll either have to stone up and compact all the drive but leave .5m or so away from your brickwork till its set and the inner filled with material

On a side note ust because there was concrete all over doesn't mean that the subbase is great we started breaking some concrete out of a yard nd the ground beneath the concrete has settled in places and was soft for the majority of it