Tiny jobs

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Thinking of taking large and small tasks undertaken off my website.

People phoning for 1 fence post to be replaced etc.

Breaking out a single fence post from an existing position and bedding in a new one can take 1 hour or it can take 1 day worse case. You HAVE to view the job also.

Realistically you're looking at 2 hours work not including picking up materials and viewing the job etc. So what do you charge???

I'm thinking seriously it's not worth doing for less than £100 cos it's unlikely I'll be able to do 3 in a day. If I quoted £100 over the phone people would be disgusted but once you take VAT off etc.. it really isn't worth doing for less.

michaelthegardener

just tell them at least £100 on the phone and if they still want you to do it get round there for a look I think people will still call if its on your website or not to be honest

rxbren

As above just price high chances are regardless of how much you say people will either do it themself or sy its too dear in reality its not worth entertaining for £100 +vat chances ae it goes like this
you either buy a few posts or have to visit first so you can get the correct size post as for some reason people cant use tape measures, then you got to travel for the post and postcrete so easily can take an hour dependant on traffic, distance and how busy it is.
More than likely its lap panel fences with nails so you have to use a hacksaw to cut the nails between post and panels, then mive them out of the way if your lucky there enough room to swing them clear if not your cutting ay least one of them off from their other post.
More than likely post has snapped clean off at the bottom so you either have to usr a breaker on the concrete or dig a giant hole to get it out
Time to put the post in and possibly fix the fence panels as lets face it if the post has gone the panels might not be far off
Then your left with the old post anf bits of left over concrete to get rid of
So you have done at least tenner on fuel, tenner on post anothrr tenner on two bags of postmix and 70 for doing the work which you still have ti dispose of the above bits and by his time its probably been 3-4 hours
So go high or go look at yhe job and price for a new fence as lets face it if one has gone the rest wont be far behind

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I imagine you are going to be run ragged after todays winds Andres,I had 10 calls relating to wind damage from 1-5pm and declined to view any of them (to busy so no point) but going to be a lot of fencing work carried out in the 3 counties in the next few weeks
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

dig dug dan

I had a few calls, and they are all broken posts. One has three, there are some spurs on another job and the odd panel here and there.
I can do all in a day easy, so will be a good earner.
even if its just one post, I can usually add it to another job somewhere
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

lutonlagerlout wrote:I imagine you are going to be run ragged after todays winds Andres,I had 10 calls relating to wind damage from 1-5pm and declined to view any of them (to busy so no point) but going to be a lot of fencing work carried out in the 3 counties in the next few weeks
LLL
I am!! 5 quotes to view tomorrow which means 6 to write up. Weekend gone and then some....

This will be the way now until October,, then dead again.