Block paving quotes - i'm indecisive - Block paving

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
ags

Not sure if this is the type of query I can post on here, I'm a bit indecisive now about 2 quotes that I have, think I did to much investigation, I know my obvious choice, also please note I left of the names of the companies out as I presumed you would not be allowed to list them here.

I'd appreciate any thoughts regarding these quotes

I located both companies initially via Streetlife , where they had some recommendations , they area to be paved is approx 25ft x 14ft, property is in South Norwood, London .

Both companies seem to be on par with one another, and both have replied to emails I sent asking for further information etc, apart form differences in quotes, they are some slight operational differences.

Quote 2 has followed up to see if I had viewed the address he gave me, also to see if I want to go ahead.

Quote 1 - £4,850.00 (incl VAT)

Marshalls Tegula (Tumbled cobbled paving)

Laying specifications for Block Paving
We will firstly excavate the proposed driveway & subbase using a 1.5-ton digger and remove all the debris. A geotextile fabric will then be placed over the new driveway area. A new sub base consisting of either crushed concrete or MOT type 1 will be evenly distributed over the site and compacted. The edge of your choice will be laid around the perimeter of the driveway on a 5:1 cement mortar and trowel pointed using a 3:1 cement mortar. The remaining driveway area will be laid on a 2-5mm crushed granite aggregate. Kiln dried sand will be brushed into the paving and compacted using a vibrating plate.

Other notes

• Family run Garden design / Landscaping business (Husband & Wife) established 1995

• Current have a waiting list of about 6 months currently, if I wish to proceed, they would require a deposit of £500.

• They are insured, have public liability covering up to 10m

• Are a registered company, have checked companies house

• They are Marshalls Registered?

• Have given me 7 addresses of properties to visit around Beckenham where they are located

Quote 2 - £4200.00 (Cash)

Construction of new driveway;

1. Excavate existing front garden with mini digger.
2. Dig down to a suitable depth to take aggregate for sub-base, and dispose of all waste.
4. Supply Type 1 aggregate (M.O.T),
Rake and level to falls and consolidate with a heavy compactor plate to provide a solid foundation for block paving.
5. Dig small soakaway and fill with shingle to take water from down pipe on house.
6. Supply drainage grills to go along front of drive, bed in sand and cement, and dig soakaway to take surface water.
7. Supply 60mm Brett block paving (choice of colour to be decided ) and lay in a 90 degree herringbone, interlocking pattern.
8. Supply kiln dried sand, sweep through all joints and consolidate block paving with compactor plate.
9. Site to be left clean and tidy on completion.
10. …… (company ) to supply all labour and materials.
* Interim payments to be made as work progresses.
Total- £4200.00.

Other notes

• Family run Garden design / landscaping business (Father & Son) established 1979, with over experience in hard and soft Landscaping 30 years, Located in Kent

• Have given me 6 addresses of properties to visit around Beckenham, most of which I visited.

• Advised they are getting busy now with the season about to start but we could do it for you within the next few weeks once we have finished our current job

Kind Regards

A Simon

dig dug dan

Firstly, the soakaway really needs to be constructed using storm crates, not shingle alone.
why is the first quote mentioning ponting edge blocks? Unless you are using bricks, its not relevant
Dont worry about the marshalls register. If their work is good and they have come recommended, thats good enough.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

rxbren

Wish the rates were like those round my way.

None of the quotes spec a subbase depth but if there previous work is fine and holding up well can assume they using decent enough depth

ags

Thanks for the feedback,

Anymore thoughts / advice welcomed
A Simon

lemoncurd1702

I would say they're much the same.

The main difference is obviously the price but bear in mind that Tegula is around £10/m2 more than the Brett paving. So if number 2 was to use the Tegula he would be around the same.

Please also check that number 2 includes vat.

View the drives they've done maybe knock on door and ask if they would recommend.
Other than that, go on gut instinct.
Cheers
Lemoncurd