Stone set drive - Which type of pointing

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
heatingengineer

I am about to replace a concrete drive with either Marshalls driveset cobbles or natural stone setts. I have been told that the stone sets need to be laid on grit sand and cement @ 3:1 and pointed with smooth sand and cement @ 4:1 and that a resin pointing cannot be used because it is designed to allow water to drain through and the water could possibly freeze lifting the setts.
My questions are:
I am concerned that the driveset system will end up with two ruts where the car runs in and particularly where it is parked. Will this ultimately happen? I have seen many block paved drives where this has happened

I think that the resin pointing will look nicer than sand and cement with the stone setts. Why can't resin pointing be used? If it is will water seep through, freeze and lift the sets?

lemoncurd1702

If you mean "Drivesys original cobble" then it's installed the same as block paving i.e on a sand bed. The jointing comes in the pack with the paving. If Drivesett Tegula/Argent/Savannah etc. then joint with sand.
As for the ruts, it's all about the base preparation. Get it right and there will be no ruts.
Resin pointing is fine to use in either case.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

heatingengineer

Thank you. Yes I do mean drivesys. Which I Understand comes with its own resin pointing system. I hope that this system is better than driveset. What I am trying to come to terms with is which is going to last the longest. Is marshalls Drivesys on sand better than Marshalls natural stone setts on a cement bed with sand and cement pointing as stipulated by Marshalls or would epoxy pointing would be better? ( not recommended by Marshalls)?

lemoncurd1702

I think most of the guys on here use a sand cement slurry and clean it off with a belt cleaner.
There's a range of epoxy resins for various applications though I'm sure for domestic purposes weatherpoint would be suitable.
Cheers
Lemoncurd