Unsure of what heights to match/driveway.

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
antropovsky

Hi everyone, new to this site... Canadian, so excuse the lingo :).

I have a question regarding different heights. How do you know what heights to match up too.. and from what distance? I only ask this because I recently began a project, where a client/friend asked me to extend his driveway, using paving stones of course. He has a concrete walkway that connects perpendicular to his driveway, and he wanted to extend the driveway so the walkway goes straight onto the driveway. What I did was string a line from the driveway street curb, to the concrete at the width he decided he wanted.. My problem is, that when I string the line, the outside edge of the extension ends up higher than the driveway, because the line I've strung goes from the street curb to his walkway to his house... which slopes up perpendicular to the driveway.

My question is... would I have been better off using the driveway height for the entire extension, and then sloping the extension to the walkway closer to the end?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing, not sure how to include a picture.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Welcome Ant.
What you will need to do is " fold " a flag/slab. To do this you cut one or more of them diagonal so one part of the slab is level and the other part leans towards the lower level. Look on main index for cutting them.look here About 3/4 down page a photo of cuts.
sean