Asphalt overlay, surface dressing - Comparisons

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
nasha48

Hi all

Have some public car parks to resurface, in the region of 2000m2 each. For the most part, the existing sub-base is fine and it's just the surface course that is worn/fretting/crazing etc. Have often cut chases to the perimeter and overlaid the entire area with 40mm depth of HRA or SMA. However, is it worth considering surface dressing as a cheaper alternative? My concern with this approach has always been that a thin surface dressing would not stand up well to the regular harsh slewing action of tyres in a car park - is there truth in this? So, in a nutshell, I'm interested in technical and price comparisons for the two different approaches - asphalt overlay and surface dressing (specifically in car parks, not on the carriageway/footway).

bobbi o

I'd speak to Colas contracting or Kiely Bros or Coldmac and ask their advice and price.

They are micro-asphalt experts and are all laying their materials on heavily trafficked roadways.