Resin bound and suds

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Billy908

Hi, just a quick initial question please from a novice looking at a resin bound stone system for a patio area.

All of the installation instructions I have seen advise that the resin bound system should be laid over a concrete or bitmac base. At the same time the systems claim to be SUDs compliant.

Excuse my ignorance but how can a system laid over a solid concrete/bitmac base be permeable? Wouldn't water just drain through the resin bound layer and sit on top of the concrete/bitmac?

I must be missing something; could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks

seanandruby
Site Admin

see here
Scroll down to permeable and read up on it.
sean

Billy908

thanks for the reply, id seen that page before, unfortunately it doesn't help me much I'm afraid. Im not so much asking how to create a permeable system but how a resin bound surface, laid over concrete or bitmac can be so?

To clarify, almost every installation instruction relating to resin bound in a domestic setting I've seen is laid over a hard surface but the claim is that it's still permeable.

I guess what in asking is whether the claims of it being permeable are confused or if I am missing something.

It seems as though resin bound *can be* permeable but isn't in the majority of installations?

Thanks again,

seanandruby
Site Admin

No fines concrete , or permeable tarmac would be used then permeable resin bound. Thst would make it suds compliant.
sean

Billy908

Thanks, googling no fines concrete gave me the info I needed. All concrete isnt the same it seems. Cheers again, very helpful.