Connection to 6" clay

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
jwill

Got a job which needs a new ground floor connection to a 6" clay combined. I thought the drain was only for this house, was only expecting 4". Anyway, apart from the drain being bigger than I thought, it's also deeper. Best part of 1200mm. Luckily specified a depth in quote.

The punters wanted IC as they've had drain problems in the past. you can see from the photo though this drain isn't centre of the entry, the water supply would need re routing and with depth and size of drain its going to be min 450mm chamber which just isn't going to fit. Pretty sure they will be okay with me knocking that on the head after I explain the above. I will put rodding access further upstream on my connection.

What would be ideal way to connect? I've used pvc 6" with 4" 45 deg branch before. Band seals to the existing both sides. Just means I'm going to have to dig the best part of 3ft along this drain to make the connection and get the seals on. Im also conceded about it being 12"/18" deeper than the footing for the wall at the side.

There is a cast stench pipe about 5ft further upstream than where my connection comes out the house. I thought I might be better off cutting a section out of this and making a vertical connection with a 90 branch. Can you get adjustable fittings or do you just use band seals again? I would make the connection below ground as the new connection is ground floor.

free upload image

seanandruby
Site Admin

Can't you introduce an in situ traditional hand built manhole/IC and run everything into it with slippers etc:
sean

jwill

I had that thought too but the edge of the drain is near enough flush with the footing.

It's bad really that whole wall has that drain underneath the whole run. B.C would never let you do that now without encasing in conc. The wall has moved over time and a few cracks been repointed. Wonder if this is owt to do with. To be fair was dry as a bone down there though.

The more I think about it cutting a section out of that cast iron soil is sounding better!

seanandruby
Site Admin

We had to build over an existing big concrete pipe once close to the end of building. We cantilevered with 30 ml rebar an also placed polystyrene on top of pipe before concreting.
sean

jwill

Dug around the stench pipe today and drain comes up in pot 4". Because the drain is so deep i've got plenty of room to put a branch in, keep pipework below ground and still get a fall. No IC but at ground level of this stench pipe is rodding access, plus i'll put an access 90 where my bend comes thru wall and into the ground.

Was way too much work the other way round

seanandruby
Site Admin

You really need to be going to an I C outside the building.
sean

jwill

Bit pic heavy but see below. This is the way I had to do it. Like you say ic would have been ideal but due to circumstances completely over complicated the job. Old rodding access above new branch and new rodding access where I've took thru old air brick hole into house. Got about another 500mm drop to 6" invert level from this branch. Topped up pea gravel after test

screen shot on windows

Dave_L
Site Admin

Nice job, that's a lot of work there.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page