Slurry pointing - Black granite dust and sbr admixture?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Traditional Stone

I've just laid 100m2 a beautiful Yorkstone driveway using new 75mm thick tumbled setts and would like to slurry point the joints. The setts are laid on 6 inch of hardcore and 5 inch of concrete with an inch of bedding layer. I want to have black joints to show off the beautiful colours, however, due to the joints being so deep it's going to cost in the region of £700 for the jointing compound alone and was thinking of a mortar mix which will be far cheaper. I've found a 3mm to dust black granite and was thinking of using that along with black mortar dye and for added strength an SBR admixture... am I mad?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

why not just lay the setts onto 6 inches of concrete rather than 5 inches then an inch of bedding?
you could top up the joints to say 20 mm down with good old 3:1 sharp sand cement and then just use a decent "romex D1" or "gtfk 850" slurry mix in basalt to top it off
mortar dye always fail and it will fade in 1 year
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Traditional Stone

Thanks LLL, will look into it

Pablo

It's common practice to fill deep joints ( even on flags) with cheap slurry and then top them off with the good stuff. Larsen do a product called FJM (flow joint mortar) which costs £8 per bag and goes off in 20 mins. It's available in several colours including basalt and is crazy strong but you need to have your sh#t together when using it because a 3000psi washer won't mark it after and hr if it gets away on you.
Dyes are useless in slurries, they wash out.
Can't see it from my house

cookiewales

I fill all my setts with 4/1 sharp sand cement slurry tip in use stiff yard brush to lower hight use hose with good spray attachment wash off .then clean with cleaner Romex d1 is good and nexus two part is the darker of the two there are some pics on my website of these process
:D :D
Originalstonepaving.com

The very best in natural stone paving in new and reclaimed materials
M: 07968 582231

DempseyLiverpool

This is what they'll look like with the sharp/cement slurry finish

Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245

Forestboy1978

DempseyLiverpool wrote:This is what they'll look like with the sharp/cement slurry finish

Had a look at your website.. that quartz sett driveway at that victorian house is out of this world beautiful :-)

DempseyLiverpool

Cheers Forest. That was the first sett drive i'd done. They had top garden design company in 3 years prior to that for the gravel job.
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245