Reusing old sand

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
r44flyer

Hello all,
I'm redoing our back garden at the moment. I've lifted a block paved path from the middle of the lawn, which was laid on sharp sand on soil. I estimate there's at least a bulk bag worth of it, 4" deep in places.

I am also building a shed base, and while I was going to lay slabs for this I was wondering if, rather than skipping all this old sand I could add stone to it and just pour a concrete slab? Would it cause any problems using old sand? I'm trying to reuse what material I can, and a concrete slab is probably easier for me than trying to lay the old council slabs I have as a shed base, they are bloody heavy.

Many thanks.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Yesvan re-use sand in concrete. Personally i would use the old flags for shed base.
sean

r44flyer

Any particular reason why one is better than the other?

If I did lay the slabs, same goes for using the sand for mortar? Or not?

seanandruby
Site Admin

As long as the sand is clean, no silt, or vegetation. It's not that one is bettet than the other, more like you already have the flags so why not use them ???
sean

r44flyer

True. Working on my own it's hard on my back that's all, lol. Well if the sand can be used either way maybe I'll do that. I loathe to waste stuff if it's perfectly usable.

Thanks Sean.

seanandruby
Site Admin

read this first
Although i can say it is easy a diyer may struggle. Make sure your bed is right as relifting is a struggle.
sean