Gravel drive sub-base

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
LeonB

Hello there

I'm currently in the process of replacing my concrete driveway with gravel. Concrete is now removed and i was planning to lay geo-textile before 150mm DpT1 and then the gravel.

I have a question though regarding the existing sub-base material which was under the concrete, it looks like this is Ash/Cinders (very similar to the photo in the aggregates section of the website) I have dug most of this off to level the drive in preparation for laying the geo textile but there is still around 30mm on top of the sub-grade. Will i be ok to lay the geo-textile over this? I'm just concerned this seems quite fine and crumbly and will the textile slip around after the DpT1 is laid on top?

I have a photo but i'm unsure how to post it here?!

many thanks in advance!
Leon

seanandruby
Site Admin

We used to use clinker as a sub base years ago. Apart from footpaths done in pfa o have only ever used it under a concrete, or tarmac overlay. It does compact well and has load bearing qualities. But i have never used it under a stone drive. Others may have used it for gravel drives and can give you the green light.
sean

LeonB

Thanks for your help seanandruby, much appreciated - hopefully this will be ok once compacted then..